Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"I'm a complex guy, sweetheart..."

Rhea expressed her love for Desmond...whom I love, as well. I have four favorite characters on Lost, with Sawyer being my number one man. (I'll give the other 3 shoutouts in future posts--one or two of them may surprise y'all.) I make no apologies for it, nor waver in my belief that the dude is a giant among men. In four seasons his character has grown more than probably any other. And, if nothing else, he's constantly reading...literature, y'all. Tell me that's not sexy. It is. For sure.

I want to be stranded on a spooky island with a scruffy, Madeleine L'Engle-reading, cigarette smoking, not-so-southern-gentleman. (He was reading A Wrinkle in Time, folks. That was season 1. Oh, the foreshadowing.) Amen.

Way back in 2004, in the second episode of our much-loved show, Sawyer (is he a redneck? a bad guy? a rebel? eye candy? ) joins Kate, Charlie, Sayid, Boone, and Shannon on a trek to higher ground, in an attempt to boost the signal from the airplane's transceiver. Kate offhandedly says to Sawyer "You decided to join us." His snarky reply is the title to my post. I knew at that moment this dude-with-dimples would prove to be more than just a pretty face. I felt certain Sawyer would become a character who, once fleshed out, would be riveting, complex, and integral to the overall story that is Lost.

I was right. Which is a rare occurrence, but still.

He's also provided lots of laughs over the years. If you have five minutes of your life to spare, this clip highlights Sawyer's infamous nicknames from the first three seasons. Honestly, it made me chuckle. And that's no lie.



I think it is worth admitting to y'all now that I own a "I heart Sawyer" t-shirt. I also own a "Hanso Foundation" one, as well. Are you getting the gist of my fangirl status?

7 comments:

Ash said...

Would I be thoughtless if I asked Hubs to buy me a "I heart Sawyer" t-shirt for Valentine's Day?

Shannon said...

"Season 1" Sawyer looks so young!!!

Elena said...

Yep, yep, yep...team Sawyer for me! I want him to call ME "sweetheart". LOL, he's so blasted funny.

Denise Grover Swank said...

I'm totally Team Sawyer, even posted about it recently, much to the disgust and dismay of my 11 year old daughter.

Rhea said...

I totally need a LOST shirt. I'm so jealous.

Sawyer's nicknames are HILARIOUS. I love them. They fly out of nowhere and seem so natural.

Melissa said...

I love that his butt was truly millimeters from being exposed in the premiere. That. was. nothing. short. of. breathtaking. You know I love that little line right at the hipbone. meow.

Heather said...

Melissa, you are cracking me up!

I'm not sure which part of Sawyer I love most. I think it's the sum of all those parts that makes him such a delicious package.

Yum.

And A Wrinkle in Time was one of my favorite books as a kid. Might have to re-read that one...