Thank goodness for a new episode! I do think "Namaste" was great, even though there wasn't anything truly mind-blowing about the episode. Here are the highlights:
- The title of the episode, "Namaste", is Sanskrit for "I bow to you". Sanskrit is one of the languages of Buddhism. Two main ideas of Buddhism are rebirth and karma. Hmm... very interesting.
On to what happened in 2007:
- During the flight of Ajira 316, the co-pilot recognizes Hurley as one of the O6. As the plane encounters turbulence, they also experience a time flash (it's nighttime when the turbulence starts, but broad daylight when it stops). Lapidus is able to land the plane on the runway... we assume this is the same runway Kate and Sawyer were helping to build while they were being held captive by the Others.
- Lapidus awakens to find his co-pilot dead (does anyone remember what happened to the co-pilot of Oceanic 815?)... he leaves the cockpit to find Sun, then realizes Jack, Kate, Hurley and Sayid are gone (we know from the last episode that Jack, Kate and Hurley are back in 1977... why isn't Sun with them?!)
- On the beach, Lapidus gathers the survivors of Ajira 316 together, asking everyone to chill and wait for help to "come looking for us". Caesar, however, wants to go off exploring the nearby buildings. While this is taking place, Ben sneaks off into the jungle... which is noticed by Sun, so she starts following Ben. Lapidus notices Sun taking off, so he starts following her.
- Sun catches up to Ben and asks where he is going, to which he replies he's going "back to our island... wanna come?" He tells Sun there are 3 outrigger canoes nearby that they can use to get to the main island. (How does Ben know about the outriggers? were they put there by the Others?) When Lapidus catches up to Sun and Ben, he warns Sun that Ben is dangerous and she shouldn't trust him. But Sun says she has to trust Ben...
- As Ben and Sun are getting the outrigger ready to go, Lapidus pleas with Sun again not to go with Ben. She asks Lapidus to come with them, but he says he can't, as he has to look after the other passengers. As Ben is telling Lapidus that he has people to take care of too, Sun whacks him in the head with an oar, knocking Ben out! (You go, girl!)
- Lapidus and Sun make it to the main island at nightfall. Before they make it to the barracks, they see something disturbing or knocking down trees (Smokey?!), but continue on anyway. They find the barracks deserted... whispers are heard and then a light comes on in one of the buildings. A man appears in the doorway, who calls out "Hello" and identifies himself as Christian (how is it that Lapidus and Sun can see Christian?!)
- Christian takes Lapidus and Sun into the processing center and shows them a picture of the "new recruits" from 1977... included in the picture are Kate, Jack and Hurley. Christian then tells Sun, "I'm sorry, but you have a bit of a journey ahead of you." (could this "journey" be some sort of way to get those who are in 1977 back to the correct time?)
Now what happened in 1977:
- We get a replay of the reunion between Sawyer, Jack, Kate and Hurley. Jack tells Sawyer that Locke is dead... Sawyer then tells Jack that it's 1977 and they're a part of the Dharma Initiative.
- When Jin hears Sun was on the plane but Jack doesn't know where she is, Jin takes off, saying he's going to the Flame... if there's a plane on the island, Radzinsky would know about it. When Jin gets there, he finds Radzinsky building a model of the Swan station...
- Radzinsky verifies no plane has landed on the island... but then an alarm is sounded indicating a Hostile is inside their perimeter. Jin runs off into the jungle and finds Sayid in handcuffs! Jin asks about Sun, but Sayid doesn't know where she is. Before they can talk any further, Radzinsky, who has also run off into the jungle, finds Sayid, forcing Jin to act as though Sayid is a Hostile and takes him prisoner.
- Back in the north valley, Kate asks Sawyer, "Other than you and Jin, who else is still here?" We don't see Sawyer's answer... and later on he mentions Faraday, to which Jack is surprised... so this makes me think Sawyer didn't answer Kate's question at all...
- Sawyer tells Jack, Kate and Hurley to stay put while he comes up with a plan to explain their appearance on the island. He goes back to his house to gather clothes, and Juliet finds him there. Sawyer tells Juliet, "They're back... Jack, Hurley, Kate..." Although she is stunned by the news (and a little sad, I think), Juliet tells Sawyer there's a sub coming in that afternoon.
- Sawyer gets back to Jack, Kate and Hurley, telling them of "2nd batch of recruits" coming to the island... the plan is for the three of them to act as though they were on the sub. The plan will work since everyone on the sub is knocked out, "no one meets until we process them".
- Juliet tries to get the information on the recruits from a sleeping Amy without disturbing her, but Amy wakes up. Juliet covers, saying she doesn't want Amy working today. Amy reveals she and Horace have decided to name their baby... ETHAN!
- On the way to the barracks, Hurley asks Sawyer why he doesn't warn Dharma of "the purge". Sawyer's reply is that he's "not here to play Nostradamus to these people". And that "Faraday's got some interesting theories on what we can and can't do here." As stated before, Jack surprisingly asks "Did you say Faraday? He's here?" (Sawyer's reply of "Not anymore" makes me think he means Faraday is no longer there mentally, rather than physically!)
- Sawyer takes Jack, Kate and Hurley to the processing center, telling them to watch the "meet and greet video" and listen for their names to be called to get their work assignments. Miles drives up and tells Sawyer "there's a 14J at the Flame". Sawyer gets on the walkie with Jin, who tells him the "Hostile" really is Sayid.
- In the Processing Center, Jack's name gets called by none other than Pierre Chang himself. Chang tells Jack, "based on your aptitude test, you'll be doing janitorial work." Score one for Sawyer!
- Phil notices Kate's name hasn't been called... he says she's not on his list and grows suspicious. Juliet walks in to Kate's rescue, telling Phil she has a new list from Amy, and that Kate is on it. (Oh, the looks these two give each other... )
- Back at the Flame, Sawyer arrives intending to question the "Hostile"... Radzinsky thinks the "Hostile" is a spy, since he saw the model of the Swan station and the survey of where it will be built. Radzinsky's solution is to shoot the spy, but Sawyer is adamant about talking to him first. Sayid plays along, admitting himself to be a "Hostile". Sawyer says he's taking the "Hostile" back to the barracks.
- The "new recruits" pose for a photograph (the same one Christian shows to Sun in 2007)
- After the photo is taken, Sawyer drives up with Sayid, and takes him to the security station. He locks Sayid in a cell, saying he can stay there until they can figure out what to do with him. When Phil asks "what are we going to do with him?", Sawyer just replies, "bring the man some damn food, we're not savages". Later, we see a boy come into the station saying he has brought a sandwich (as soon as I saw the boy, I knew who it was going to be...) Sayid tells his name, and asks the boy his... "I'm Ben."
- That night, Jack goes looking for Sawyer's house. Juliet answers the door and they first embrace before Jack says he must have the wrong house, as he was looking for Sawyer. Juliet tells him he does not, and invites Jack in. After a brief awkward moment, Juliet leaves Sawyer and Jack to talk...
- Saywer's smackdown to Jack was awesome! When Jack asks "Where do we go from here?", Sawyer calmly replies, "I'm working on it"... Jack comes back with, "Really? 'Cause, to me, it looks like you were reading a book." Sawyer goes on to say he once heard Winston Churchill read a book every night, saying it made him think better. He tells Jack, "That's how I like to run things... I think. Back when you were calling the shots, you pretty much just reacted... you didn't think, Jack, and as I recall, a lot of people ended up dead." Jack defends himself saying he "got us off the island"... but Sawyer says "but here you are, right back where you started." Sawyer tells Jack he's going back to his book and think... 'cause that's how he saved Jack's "ass today... and that's how I'm gonna save Sayid's tomorrow." (BAM!)
My favorite line of the episode:
Hurley, to Jin: "Dude, your English is awesome!"
All in all, not a bad episode... what did you think?